Sunday, March 23, 2008

Esterhazyschnitten


Nut meringue slices with buttercream filling and a fondant glaze.
I got the recipe from the book Kaffeehaus. It's also the cover art for the book. Mine doesn't look nearly as nice as the photos they show on the book, but it was very very tasty nonetheless. I made a few changes from the original recipe. Instead of using an apricot glaze, I used a cherry glaze and instead of an Almond and Hazelnut meringue, I used strictly almonds. I wanted to use what I had available without having to go to the store.
The hardest part of making this dessert was the fondant top layer. Try as we may, we couldn't get a smooth glaze, so my chocolate striping looks a bit rough. Regardless, it was still an impressive dessert once you sliced into it. It pairs very well with a medium bodied coffee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks very scrumpdidleyissious!
Sean

KansasA said...

This looks absolutely heavenly! I'd best be careful because if I ever make it I'd sit and eat it all by myself :)