Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mother's Day Cake

The day I was trying to figure out what to make for our Mother's Day get-together at my SIL's, my latest issue of Fine Cooking magazine arrived in the mail. I'm so glad it did, because there was a beautiful recipe for blueberry lime pound cake. This was a dense yet delicate cake with a citrusy glaze. There were no leftovers. The pansies were purchased while the cake was cooling. I made a mad dash to Wal-Mart and got 4 six packs of purple pansies and cut off all the blossoms when I got home. Now I have 2 dozen pansies to plant in my front flower bed!

Today I volunteered to help at the Senior Safety seminar given by the local police and fire dept. I just tacked on an extra hour to my normal volunteer time at the police dept and served coffee and juice and cleaned up the tables while the lectures were being given. I felt bad because I had to leave just as they were serving lunch, but Michael and I had a date scheduled. Today is our 2 year anniversary. He has a dentist appt and a fire dept meeting right after work, so lunch was the only time we could spend together. We went out to one of my favorite local restaurants. He had the chipotle brisket sandwich and I had the coconut chicken salad. Bother were excellent and because this was a special occasion, we splurged and had dessert. We ordered a slice of carrot cake and what we got was a mountain of carrot cake. It was very good, but finishing the entire thing felt like work!
This afternoon I hope to settle in and relax with the dogs. I started a batch of my Mom's sour cream chocolate chip cookies. The batter is chilling right now, so it gives me a break before I start baking. Maybe I'll take a nap. I sure could use one after that big lunch!

No comments: