Sunday, June 6, 2010

Getting back to cooking


This photo sums things up quite well. Baby D isn't a baby anymore. She's a full fledged toddler and eager to help and learn everything in every way.
This is my new kitchen. It's not finished but it's workable. You'll notice there are no drawers or window trim, but this is minor. I'm bound and determined to start getting back to my love of cooking. On Friday I went all out and made pasta noodles and a meat sauce. I always use my food processor to make the noodles and then my hand crank pasta roller machine. Unfortunately, the crank was missing. It's either packed in an odd box, or was moved by my helpful toddler. I found out just how labor intensive rolling out pasta with a simple rolling pin can be. Time to start dropping hints to the hubby that I'd like a Kitchenaid pasta maker attachment.

Meat sauce:
  • 1 lb Ground Italian sausage (or pork, or beef, whichever you'd prefer)
  • 1 Tbsp Olive oil
  • 1 Onion diced fine
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 2 14oz cans diced tomatoes (or use fresh if they are in season)
  • 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
  • pinch cinnamon
  • 1 tsp dried Oregano
  • 1 tsp dried Basil
  • 1 tsp Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Dry Red Wine
Heat oil in large pot. Add onions and garlic and sweat until softened. Add ground meat and brown over medium heat. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, cinnamon, oregano, basil, and red wine. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add sugar, stir and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer covered for 30 minutes or longer.





Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kellie Jones said...

I'm happy you're blogging again! I'm not going to lie, I don't think I'll ever be ambitious enough to make my own pasta but I might try the sauce recipe.

Erin Reed said...

Wow!! Sounds great!!!