Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Scalloped potatoes wih buttermilk


Everything tastes better with buttermilk. That's a universal constant. Pancakes, biscuits, even scalloped potatoes.
Today I tried something different. I've become a fast fan of precooking the potato slices in a milk/ heavy cream mixture in a skillet on the stove top. I didn't have any heavy cream so I substitited buttermilk instead. At first it was pretty scary. As soon as buttermilk hits the heat it turns into a cottage cheese consistency. I was afraid I had ruined the whole dish. In time and at a slightly lower flame, it smoothed out and started cooking nicely. I layered the potato slices and cream with some cheddar cheese and leftover ham. I baked it at 350F for about an hour. I kept checking it every twenty minutes to see if the potatoes were done. I should have precooked them on the stove longer I suppose. For such a tasty dish, this sure does take forever to bake.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: