Thursday, December 3, 2009

Avgolemono



Yummy. Nothing better to warm you up on a chilly evening when you're on the cusp of a seasonal cold. This egg and lemon soup is a traditional Greek recipe I first tried on a trip to Greece back in 2004. I've been working on replicating it ever since and I think tonight I made my best batch. I added chicken because I had a little leftover from a store bought rotisserie chicken.

Avgolemono with Chicken
Serves one as a main course or 2 as an appetizer:

1/3 Cup Orzo
1/3 Cup chopped cooked chicken (optional)
2Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 cups chicken broth
2 eggs
pinch salt

In a medium pot, set the broth to boiling.
Add orzo and chopped cooked chicken. Cook over medium heat for 9 minutes.
In a medium bowl, thoroughly whisk the eggs.
Slowly add in the lemon juice.
Gradually add a couple of ounces of the heated broth to the egg-lemon mixture to warm it, then slowly add the mixture to the broth.
Stir gently over a low flame.
Salt to taste.
Serve right away
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Remember the FRUGAL GOURMET? i STILL REMEMBER HIM PRONOUNCING THIS RECIPE BY NAME.. I suppose he cooked it too, but I don't remember that, just the name. My husband is 1/4 Greek, but his mother seldom if ever cooked Greek. Her husband didn't like it.