Thursday, July 28, 2011

Alton Brown's Banana pudding


Each night my husband likes to watch 30 minutes of TV before bed to unwind. His preference is for sitcoms or something equally lighthearted to help shake off a stressful day. The other day he mentioned that he was getting sick of watching, "Everybody Loves Raymond" over and over so I started to DVR a few episodes of, "Good Eats" with Alton Brown. We used to watch this show all the time together until he started designing the house and I got pregnant a little over three and a half years ago. I was so nauseous that even watching food being cooked made me ill.
We watched the episode called, "Yes we have no banana pudding". There we learned why boxed Nilla Wafers suck so much now compared to the ones they made when I was a kid, and we found out what imitation vanilla extract is made from. (You don't want to know)
My husband was immediately inspired to make this stuff. I made the vanilla wafer cookies (num!) and he made the vanilla custard. It didn't turn out very well and we think it's because the pan he used had straight sides and the whisk couldn't reach the stuff in the corner of the bottom of the pan. Alton uses a fancy saucier pan and we didn't have one.
Notice I said didn't.
I was a nice wife and bought my husband a saucier pan last week. I should have saved it for Christmas but I knew that it was bugging him that he couldn't make a perfect custard and he wanted this figured out right away. So this is what we made the other day. Nice and yummy banana pudding with a meringue top. I'll have to show him how to do the traditional merigue top with many waves and peaks just for appearance sake, but as far as taste goes, this was crazy good.
Time to get back to the gym, we're both cooking with gusto again!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: