Saturday, October 20, 2007

Bread machine trials


Well, the second batch with the better yeast proved to be no better. I even took it out of the bread machine for the final rise, hoping that a loaf pan would give it more room to expand. I think the small paddle in the bread machine just doesn't work the dough enough to let the gluten do it's job. Both loaves were dense and chewy and didn't have a strong flavor. It wasn't bad bread, it just didn't suit my preferences. I don't think I'll throw away my bread machine, but I will lean towards my stand mixer much more.This is one of my favorite fall plants. I have to plant a new mum each spring because our winters are a bit too cold for it, but I don't mind. I was able to pinch back the plant enough to get a great shape and lots of showy blossoms this fall. The photo doesn't do it justice because the poor plant had been battered by a few successive days of rain. Normally it's much more perky. I planted silvery plants around it because I thought they would accent the burgundy blossoms and I think I got the effect I was after. I have licorice plant on the right and a groundcover on the left. The groundcover also serves a purpose as it keeps the mulch in place during a heavy rain when the water from the downspout washes out over the flowerbeds.

No comments: