Sunday, April 6, 2008

Got you in my sights

Right above Miranda's left ear you can see the object of her attention. There's a squirrel foraging about in the yard.

I started my seedlings yesterday. I made a few mini greenhouses from old fruit packages from the grocery store and for the larger units, I used leftover disposable lasagna pan lids. I cheated and bought some jiffy peat pots, but they were less than $2.00 for 50 of them, so I feel I am doing okay so far.
All of the seeds were free, coming from my garden, my Gramma's, my Dad's or my Sister-in-law's. I planted some mystery beans of Grandpa's. We don't know what they are, but they've been in the family for years and I hope I didn't destroy them this year. They collected a little mold in storage. I also started butternut squash from an organic squash my Uncle bought in Amish country in Lancaster PA.
The flowers I started are Bells of Ireland, Cleome, Gramma's 4 O'clocks, Gramma's wild orange butterfly bush that she brought in from the woods years and years ago, Purple Angel's Trumpet, Moon Flower (the angel trumpet variety, not the morning glory variety), some Castor Beans and some tall yellow Nasturtiums. We still need to collect the Cannas and Dahlias from my SIL's root cellar. It'll be a while before the ground thaws and the threat of frost has passed. The ground is still frozen at about 6" deep.
Also if you'll notice in the picture, the red begonia is the one I won at a bridal shower in November and it is still going strong. I also love the way the african violet reflects the light from the flash. It really glows.

No comments: