Friday, April 11, 2008

Pan Roasted Halibut

Everyone was eating well tonight. We picked up some smoked knuckle bones from our local butcher on the way back from the grocery store. They were enthusiastically received.

Then for the humans, I made a very simple yet amply tasty Halibut dish. The Halibut was conveniently on sale (otherwise it would have been out of our budget) and the dish only required the purchase of a few cherry tomatoes and some pesto.

I started by making pesto butter. I simply mashed together a few tablespoons of pesto with about 6 tablespoons of butter. I shaped this into a roll using plastic wrap and placed it in the freezer until firm.
Next melt a few tablespoons of butter and spread this on both sides of the fish fillets. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, coat with plain breadcrumbs and then sear in a medium hot skillet with 2 Tbsp Olive oil and turn once. Add a cup of sliced tomatoes and then put the whole pan in the oven at 425F for ten minutes. When done, put a big pat of the pesto butter right on each fillet and you're done! The flavor is fabulous and we both loved this dish. I used to remaining pesto butter on the steamed broccoli and it was scrumptious. I highly recommend this simple and tasty dish. We'll try it again when my cherry tomatoes are in season from my garden. That's the only way I could imagine improving this meal.

1 comment:

Scavengergirl said...

I'd like a 'Miranda after the bone starring Mike's reaction' photo. :D