Wednesday, August 29, 2007

His and hers...


Last night, armed with a 25% discount at Linens-N-Things, we picked up a 6qt Kitchenaid mixer. Why would anyone need a 6qt mixer when they already have a 5qt mixer? Well, I'll show you:

The last time I was back east Michael had a family reunion to attend. He wanted to make his famous sticky buns. He made 2 batches and while the first batch of dough was kneading in the mixer he figured he had enough time to run to the store for more yeast. (Any of you veteran mixer owners are probably saying, "Uh oh" right now.) He returned to a kitchen filled with smoke as the mixer had stalled and the motor was burning itself up. He told me about this the next night while we were on the phone. (Keep in mind, this was the mixer I had been saving up for years to buy and it was a gift to myself back when I was single for getting myself out of debt) I was so upset I hung up on him and immediately called Rosanne to ask her if this is something that is worth getting upset at my husband about, or if I am being a brat. She said it was something that would make her feel bad. Michael and I spent the next few days sorting out the matter and he assured me it still worked. It just didn't work at slow RPM's anymore. Now when you turn it on, it goes right to speed setting 4. My last batch of cookies sent cocoa flying all over the counter. He must have felt really bad because a month later I now have a bigger better mixer! We're still keeping the small mixer because when we cook it gets pretty busy in this kitchen and we'll foreseeably be needing both mixers in the future. Michael tested the new mixer out on an almost doubled batch of brioche dough and it successfully shut off before the motor stalled when kneading. After 20 minutes of cooling the mixer finished kneading the dough. Very nice!

No comments: