Thursday, August 30, 2007

Summer bounty


Now this is what I've been waiting all summer for. A fresh tomato sandwich with a thick layer of mayo on soft bread. So yummy, so Americana, so reminds me of hot summer days on the farm.
This particular tomato is an heirloom "Brandywine" variety, believed to have originated from the Brandywine river region of southern PA. The leaves and blossom of this tomato were so different from the varieties I'm used to. It was a very pretty plant. It produces a huge tomato, very juicy with a firm, sweet flesh, though not the most flavorful variety I've tasted. Of the few different tomato plants I've grown this year the best performer was the Celebrity for globe (round) tomatoes and the Juliet Hybrid for grape tomatoes. Both were prolific producers and healthy plants. They did better than I expected in my first year gardens. My only complaint for the Juliet Hybrid was that the fruit were too big for salad tomatoes and a little too small for cooking tomatoes, although I just made another batch of tomato sauce using Juliets exclusively and it was quite good,... it just took 90 tomatoes to make. Tomorrow I'll be canning the rest of my globe tomatoes. I think the season is dwindling down- the curse of living in a Zone 4 region! We're already coming up with some strategies for extending the gardening season next year.

Spinner and Blayze were keeping an eye on us while we were working by the compost pile.

No comments: