Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lazy hazy dazy

Very overcast today. Reminds me of being back east. That's what I told the guy at the garage sale I stopped at this morning. We chatted for a bit. He was quite familiar with the east coast as he is a truck driver and often goes into Philly and Harrisburg. We discussed the similarities and differences between this area and PA. He summed it up as being basically the same, only we have lakes and they have mountains. I agreed, and added that although these winters here are colder, there are no icy roads to worry about sliding around on with steep grades like there are out east. Everything here is flat and winter driving is considerably safer. (You do have to take the occasional speeding idiot into account, but that happens no matter where you go.) I mentioned that my Mom worked at a station along interstate 86 (used to be 17) along the NY-PA border. He asked, "Near Erie?" I replied, "No, between Elmira and Binghamton." He responded, "Oh, there's nothing out there." I exclaimed, "You know the area!" I got such a kick out of that and it was nice to chat with someone about my old neck of the woods. There's an amazing amount of people out here who have not been anywhere near the east coast.
Mirada accompanied me as I ran some errands this morning. I stopped at the Caribou Coffee drive thru for a latte and she got a dog biscuit from the window attendant. We went to the library to return some books, pay a late fine, and get some new books. I hated to return the Bread bible. I may have to buy that one. We stopped at the garage sale and I picked up a 12qt stock pot and the entire Little House on the Prarie book collection. We came home and I took Spinner out for a jog around the park. Right now he's lying on the rug in the parlor with Blayze bathing his ears. Patch is still licking his paws raw. His season allergies are in full swing. We've been either having him wear the e-collar or booties to keep him from licking his paws till they bleed like he did last year.
Last night I made a pecan crusted chicken breast over salad with honey mustard dressing. Very nummy. I cheated and used a mixed baby greens bagged salad and a bottled dressing. I didn't feel like throwing a huge effort into dinner last night. I got the recipe from a free trial magazine subscription I got in the mail. It's called "Cuisine" and it's not too shabby, although I already know most of the stuff it's trying to teach.
Michael and I went to the Y and he swam laps while I worked on cardio equipment. They have some absolutely wild equipment at the Y. There's TV's on the treadmills and eliptical machines and there's 4 stationary bikes with virtual bike competition software. You can compete against the person riding next to you if you want. I rode a plain stationary bike and watched Last Comic Standing with subtitles while listening to my MP3 player. I don't recommend watching standup comedy that way, so much is lost on humor without timing.

No comments: