Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Where to, Mr. Wooly Bear?

Daily tour of the gardens yielded this herald of colder times to come. I forget how to read these guys. Is it: the front black means the length of the approaching winter or is that the rear black section? I had picked the little gourd and Miranda and I were walking back to the front yard to add it to our fall decorations, when I spied this little "too cute to be an insect" caterpillar. I remember seeing these all over the farm as a kid. These too. (Creepier cousin if you ask me)



On to more appetizing subjects now, last night I made Chicken Kiev with Steamed Asparagus and hollandaise. It was ever so yummy, but very heavy. I used the leftover chicken for quesadillas for lunch today. I had never made quesadillas before and I found a great method for cooking them quickly. Take a pair of cast iron skillets, one slightly larger than the other, and heat both of them. Cut back the heat on the larger skillet and melt a pat of butter and place a soft tortilla flat in the larger, sprinkle liberally with cut up chicken, diced jalapeno and tons of cheese. Top with another tortilla and place a layer of aluminum foil over top. Now place that smaller cast iron skillet over the foil to press down and cook from the top as well. This melts the cheese quickly and crisps both tortillas. The result is quick and delicious.

No comments: