Thursday, September 27, 2007

Goodbye Summer

The last of my summer tomatoes. Only canned from now on. It's just not the same. I mourn my frost-killed garden. Store bought winter tomatoes and other vegetables taste so different that I'd almost rather avoid them completely, but that's not a very balanced diet. Oh, to suffer for the next 8 months.
But enough of that pathos, let me tell you about this awesome lunch I whipped up!
I sauteed onions and garlic in olive oil, added chopped plum tomatoes (*sniff*) and dried oregano and cooked that down over medium heat until the tomatoes had mostly broken down, then I added a bit of dry sherry, simmered that down and then added sundried tomatoes and let those flavors combine over a low simmer. Meanwhile I cooked up the fresh spaghetti I had made from the leftover ravioli dough from last night. Once that was done, I pulled the noodles from the pot and added a bit of the pasta water to the tomato pan to make a sauce. (Only about a quarter cup) The resulting dish was yummy. Fresh noodles blow packaged noodles out of the water and the sauce was sweet and flavorful. Add a little fresh grated parmesan cheese on top and viola!

In other news, we're packing for our trip. It's a chaos day today because we're also going to the Prairie Home Delights event with Michael's mother tonight.
We'll be leaving tomorrow morning to drive 17 hours to PA. We'll be hanging around the area until we leave early on October 7th. So on that note, I gotta go!

No comments: