Friday, November 2, 2007

Beets Beets Beets!!

If a person gets to choose their own personal utopia, mine would be filled with Harvard Beets. The color, the aroma, the flavor is all so beautiful, dramatic and fantastic, I could live surrounded by Harvard Beets and I'd be ecstatic. How could one not love something so bold and colorful?
Last night I made a pork roast with roasted potatoes and a side dish of Harvard beets. I made a quick gravy from the roast drippings (to appease my gravy-loving husband) and we had a sweet Riesling wine as an accompaniment. Aren't these Beautiful beets?
They were so much fun to boil, peel and cut. The gorgeous maroon drippings stained my fingers and I loved every moment of it. There's something so satisfying about working with a vegetable that doesn't mess around. It isn't afraid to stain, drip or challenge the cook. I can't wait to work with these again and I'll be actively seeking a good Borscht recipe the next time I find beets at a farmer's market.

1 comment:

Scavengergirl said...

I don't know why, but that 1st photo of the beets (the red slippery wet gooey looking one) really kind of grosses me out.


Test your sensitivity to disgust and take part in a real science experiment -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/disgust/index.shtml