Friday, November 9, 2007

I take requests!

Recently I received a request for my Butternut Squash Bisque recipe. I promised both the recipe and a photo tutorial:
First cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out all the guts. Place on a baking sheet cut sides down in a 350 oven for one hour. (I recommend cutting the thick section into at least 2 pieces. Mine did not cook fully) Reserve the seeds and fibers and place them in a saute pan with 2 Tbsp butter, a dash of pepper and one onion diced small.
Cook for a few minutes until onion is soft, stirring constantly. Add one cup of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Boil for a few minutes and then simmer over medium low heat for about a half hour or until thick. Strain seed mixture into a food processor or blender. Push seed mixture through mesh to extract as much pulp as possible. (This is where all that rich flavor lies)Remove skin from squash and add cooked squash to food processor. Pulse until mixture is well blended. Once a smooth consistency is achieved add 1/4 cup heavy cream and pulse lightly.

I also made pork chops with a mandarin orange sauce, but I'll add that recipe later. It's late and I need to get going. I'll complete this entry later.
Let me know what you think!
Here my husband decided to help with cleanup, so he took the blade out of the food processor and let the dogs clean the bowl. Then he had to clean the dog's muzzles. *sigh*

No comments: