Saturday, November 3, 2007

Carpenters Curls

I was looking for a Borscht recipe within the cookbooks I have on hand. I was paging through a Czech cookbook, hoping to find something close to Borscht, but as I scanned over the cookie recipes, I stopped dead in my tracks. There were about 6 pages filled with the easiest to make and most tempting looking recipes I had ever seen. The one I couldn't overlook was called Hoblovacky, or "Carpenter's Curls." It has three cookie ingredients and one ingredient for sprinkling on top and it takes about 15 minutes to make them. I set aside everything else I was working on, temptation had gotten the better of me in this case.
It wasn't until I had a finished product that the name made sense. They are called "Carpenter's Curls" because they look like planer shavings. They are extremely tasty and disappeared quickly. The anise seeds add a light licorice flavor. The recipe is in the comments section.

1 comment:

Lizzardmoon said...

Recipe for Carpenter's Curls
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Flour
2 Eggs
1 Tbsp Anise seeds (or topping of your choice, although the anise is mighty yummy)
Beat flour, sugar and eggs with wire whisk for about 10 minutes. Grease and flour a baking sheet. (I used parchment paper) With a pastry tube (I used a ziploc bag with a corner snipped off) make 3 or 4 strips of the batter, 1/2" wide, the length of the baking sheet. Sprinkle with the Anise seeds. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut strips into halves or thirds and curl over the handle of a wooden spoon while still warm. Repeat until all the batter is used up.