Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Panettone, my new favorite bread


This stuff was so fun to make. I got the recipe from Martha Stewart's Christmas Cookbook.
The recipe in the cookbook called out much smaller paper bags, but I only had lunch bags available, so rather than 12 bun-sized loaves, I made 4 meal-sized loaves. I have to say, buttering the paper bags was gross. I used a pastry brush but my hands got very slimy in the process. As a side note, they've felt surprisingly soft and I haven't needed moisturizer since.
I studded the loaves with chopped dates and craisins, rather than raisins and apricots. We have one raisin aversion and one severe apricot allergy in the house, which compromises a lot of holiday baking now that I'm learning more about traditional European baking. However, since I've discovered dates, all is well.
It turned out to be a moist, flavorful, delicate bread with a slight citrusy flavor (due to the lemon zest) and occasional fruits. It's a heavy egg bread, basically. Upon further research, I found out this is a traditional Italian bread served on New Year's Eve with Sparkling wine. I'll have to make another batch for New Year's then!

1 comment:

Lizzardmoon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.